Tuesday, July 4, 2017

China - the year that was #2

Time flies when you are something something! And all of a sudden it has been two years. TWO YEARS! Doesn't seem that long ago that I wrote this, does it?

So what have I been doing this past year? Some of you came for a visit (around 13 of you), and a pocketful of you returned more than once! Parts of my Guangzhou and China family left (and there are more imminent departures) and while it's part of the gig it doesn't make that easy. What it does make though is full cupboards of food and booze. So there is that....

I've explored more coffee shops around town, a nice Saturday ritual with recently departed friends and baby child (see above reference). I've stalked a bunch of people on Instagram for virtual friendships and new places to explore. I've watched this city change and grow...much more cosmopolitan with still its Guangzhou vibe. Not bright and shiny like Shanghai, not as cultured as Beijing, but more like an easy going big city...like Brisbane is to Melbourne and Sydney I guess but just a hell of a lot bigger!

And while I've enjoyed another year in this crazy town, there is a lot to be said for being in the middle of the world and in a country so diverse and worthy of exploration:

Hong Kong*
Nanning
Beihai
Beijing*
Xi'an
Kaiping*
Shanghai
Tunxi
Xidi
Taipei
Kaprun
Salzburg
Berlin
Copenhagen
Doha
Dubai
Seoul
Sydney
Canberra
Bowral
Lijiang
Shuhe
Shaxi
Lamma Island
Chengdu
Shenzhen

*some of them more than once

And like the year before, I met lots of dogs, I didn't paint enough paintings...I only went to one movie (the secret life of pets!?!?!) and ridiculously like last year watched a season of Girls. I also went to one wedding. It's like I've accidentally mirrored my first year here but with an additional addiction to the Amazing Race and that stupid tv show team ninja warrior. That's actually quite embarrassing...

So again, I'll raise a glass to the year gone (I'll then most likely take a photo and post it on Instagram) and look forward to the year ahead. May it be filled with more visits, more visitors, more love, more laughs, more dogs and more dumplings.


No comments:

Post a Comment