Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Sophie Scholl

I was reminded of Sophie Scholl today, as it was the anniversary of her death 70 years ago. I remember watching the movie Sophie Scholl The Final Days, and sobbing at the end - surprised by what transpired. I'm a bit stupid like that because the movie title really does give the game away.

Of late, I've been really disappointed at the lack of progression and empathy we have shown as a community and a country and all the sad goings on of the world. And I'm angry about it - relieved that I'm away from it all, but in a way frustrated to be watching from afar. 

What has this got to do with Sophie? I don't know, I'm too tired and ill equipped to articulate what is right and wrong in the world and how we should fix it, but Sophie Scholl's final words before her execution resonate:

"How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to offer themselves up individually for a righteous cause? Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment