Thursday, May 31, 2012

Top 100 - Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps, Doris Day # 98


Story by Bronwyn

It was summer 1992, I was nine years old.   I remember it being so hot.  My next door neighbour, and best friend, and I went to the movies for the first time I can remember.  We went to Electric Shadows feeling so grown up.

Do you remember the old dual coloured cinema, one blue one red? I think we were in the red one, our bare thighs sticking to the cheap vinyl, ice cold cokes and buckets of popcorn resting precariously on our knees, the air conditioner choking to life, the whir of the projector - the excitement and anticipation almost overwhelming.

We were seeing Strictly Ballroom, I remember walking out loving it so much, wanting to watch it again right there and then.  For weeks I saved my pocket money and bought my first CD – the Strictly Ballroom soundtrack.  Over and over again I would listen to it, the crescendos, the cheesiness, revelling in it all.

But there was one track that I would always go back to, Doris Days’ Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps.  Maybe I missed something, at nine years old I probably did.  But I’d dance around my room anyway.

It may be a song about not wanting to be broken-hearted, but I reflect and think isn’t that what life is made up of? Perhapses? Perhaps I’m no good at this, perhaps he’s the right one, perhaps this is the wrong decision.  There’s always another perhaps waiting around the corner, waiting to unnerve you.  When it does, singing a mindless 1960’s pop song is sure to make you feel better!            





No comments:

Post a Comment