Saturday, May 19, 2012

Top 100 - Embraceable You, Billie Holiday #73




Story by Rowena

One album, Billie Holiday Gitanes Jazz, has been a soundtrack to many significant periods in my life.  As I sit & listen to the album I’m transported across decades, continents, relationships & myriad emotions.

Bleary eyed & exhausted, one particular song, Embraceable You, was on my lips one evening settling our new little daughter back to sleep.  The lyrics just seemed to resonate with me as I held her tight and rocked her tenderly in the darkness – her chubby little arms clinging to me, her damp, teary cheek against my shoulder & her soft head snuggled into my neck.  Despite my crude rendition the song soothed & calmed her that night & the many others that followed & will always evoke those tender memories.


Artwork by Karin









No comments:

Post a Comment