Sunday, July 31, 2011

Je m'appelle cafe au lait, danke

Tonight I was at dinner with some really lovely people. One person was learning French and another Spanish. And I thought...wouldn't it be great to speak either of those languages a bit better. You know...I can order food in both badly, but wouldn't it be awesome when traveling to give it a better go. Why? Because people always like it when you travel to their country and at least try to speak the language.

Or do they?

I've always been smug in trying to say something (anything) in European countries. It is usually around ordering food or the like, and I have that middle class idea that those fancy Europeans like that sort of thing. Thinking about it, there is probably nothing more jarring to those people than to have to endure my terrible mispronunciation, incorrect grammar and lack of confidence in delivery - whilst looking completely unfashionable (like a hillbilly) visiting their country. Think about it. Would you rather someone butchered your language to the point of awkwardness out of politeness?

Who knows - but I wish I was committed enough to go to class and learn another language, so I could actually speak it.

No comments:

Post a Comment