Monday, December 28, 2009

Albuquerque and beyond


Charlie Faithful sent an email the other day and mentioned him and his gal were in Albuquerque before heading off to Colorado for Christmas.

Made me go back to my travel diary to see what I had to say....apparently not much, more about the drive from Albuquerque to Texas. Which by all reports is flat and hot.

My travel diary did remind me about the public art installation and sculpture in Amarillo, Texas, which is a bunch of cadillacs embedded in the ground. It was created in 1974 and the cars are half-buried nose-first in the ground at an angle corresponding to that of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.


It is amazing what you forget...What I did remember (and this was also on the same page of my travel diary) was the massive fuck off cross we came about on our drive through Texas and coincidently this was something I'd talked to Charlie Faithful by email a few months before.

This cross appeared from nowhere, as did the man who approached us when we got out of the car for a closer look. He explained the cross was dedicated to the innocent unborn children who were victims of abortion. That kind of freaked me out.

But you know what, whatever you believe (or don't) the amazing thing is that Highway 40 led us from Albuquerque to all that stuff. Only in the US of A


No comments:

Post a Comment