Friday, July 17, 2009

I ♥ Canberra

So tonight on my way home from work I stopped at the shops. I wanted to pick up something special for dinner because I was going to stay in and do some painting. I picked up nori rolls and a bottle of Hanging Rock Cuvée and walked through the busy streets back to my car. It wasn't manic busy, there was just a buzz of people out on a Friday night.

I noticed it was cold, but not that freezing cold - just cold enough so my cheeks stung a little, but the rest of me was warm under my big woolen coat. It was about six o'clock and the day had just turned into night...a kind of soft inky black. And then it happened. The church bells chimed three or four times and I was struck with an odd sense of familiarity. I could have been in a small village in France, or Germany or a little town in Italy. That very moment reminded me why I love living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment